MBTA

Division Highlights

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continued to have significant impacts on the MBTA in the 2021 fiscal year, primarily through steep declines in MBTA ridership from pre-pandemic levels, and associated revenue losses that will continue to challenge the MBTA in future fiscal years. Read More

What is the MBTA?

The MBTA owns and operates one of the oldest and largest public transportation agencies in the US, serving more than 1.2 million passenger trips each weekday before the COVID-19 pandemic. Read More

MBTA Customer Experience

MBTA customer experience describes the reliability, comfort, accessibility, and other service qualities experienced by MBTA riders in FY21. Reliability increased in FY21 for nearly all modes from the previous fiscal year. Read More

MBTA Safety

In July 2020, in accordance with FTA final rule 49 CFR 673, the MBTA published a revised Transit Safety Plan which utilizes Safety Management Systems (SMS) principals to ensure the safety of customers, employees, contractors, and the public. The plan, which is reviewed and updated annually, provides strategic and management performance objectives to affirm and execute the MBTA’s commitment to provide a safe, reliable, and sustainable regional transportation service, and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and appropriate industry best practices. Read More

MBTA System Condition

In accordance with the FTA, the MBTA completes annual Transit Asset Management performance measures for Revenue Vehicles, Non-Revenue Vehicles, Facilities, and Track to document the agency’s asset inventory, condition assessments, and investment prioritization. The MBTA uses FTA-defined performance measures and annual targets to monitor asset condition, determine optimum levels of asset investment (such as preventative maintenance), and develop condition goals per asset type across the agency. Read More

MBTA Budget & Capital Performance

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has continued to have significant impacts on the MBTA in FY21, primarily through significant declines in MBTA ridership and associated revenue losses. Fare revenue typically funds 40 percent of operating costs across the authority. In FY21, this fare recovery ratio was just 10 percent, meaning that subsidies and other revenue sources supported the remaining 90 percent of costs to run service and operate the system. Read More

MBTA Healthy & Sustainable Transportation

The MBTA’s expansive service and prominent regional position mean it has significant potential to alleviate congestion and mitigate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from single-occupancy vehicles through mode shift—trips taken on transit that may have otherwise been taken by car. Measures such as MBTA ridership provide context for mode shift, while GHG emissions reductions and bus electrification efforts work to advance healthy and sustainable transportation in the region. Read More